Rucola, or as it is also called, mustard grass. It is one of the most useful plants used in various systems for weight loss. It has a rich set of useful substances and nutrients. Even in ancient Rome, it was popular as a type of antiseptic. Julius Caesar believed that it increased “male strength.” Leading nutritionists recommend arugula for weight loss. Well, let’s discuss it more substantially.
- 1 Arugula for weight loss
- 2 Arugula recipes for weight loss
Arugula for weight loss
If we look closely at the composition of arugula, we can see how useful it is. For example, its sugar content is only 2 g, carbohydrates – 3.5 g, fat – 0.8 g. That is, the amount of these substances is less than 1% of the daily rate. As for calories, it contains only 25 kcal. But it contains about 1.5 g of fiber. Protein in the leaves – about 2.5 g. And note that all this applies to 100 g of the plant. Thus, we can say that arugula is optimal for weight loss. With its help, you can lose weight and not damage your health.
In addition, the leaves contain many vitamins and flavonoids. They are also rich in macro-and micronutrients. All this nourishes the body during the weight loss process.
As for the culinary use of arugula in diets – it is diverse. It can be used classically – in salads. But it can also be added to meat, pizza, sandwiches, and other dishes. Note that the plant can eat everything – leaves, flowers, and seeds. But the stem, if very bitter, can be finely chopped and dried. Later it can be used as a spice.
Arugula recipes for weight loss
The tangy taste of mustard grass adorns many dishes. It is especially prominent in dietary diets. It is no secret that healthy food is often tasteless. But arugula allows you to fill it with interesting notes.
In many countries, the leaves of this plant are an ingredient for salads. Here’s a look at some simple recipes for salads with arugula.
Salad with shrimps
- Boil 500-600 g of shrimp. Immediately rinse them in a colander with cold water. This is to make them easier to clean.
- Fry the shrimp meat in vegetable oil until golden. It is better to use olive oil, about 4 tablespoons. Ready shrimp put in a separate plate. Then pour the juice of a fresh lemon on top. Then add 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Take lettuce leaves (150g), tear them and add to the salad bowl. Do the same with arugula (100-120g).
- Cut the small cherry tomatoes in half and also add them to the dish.
- Drain the liquid you have left in a bowl with the shrimp in a separate container. Add the prawns themselves to the salad bowl.
- Season the salad with vegetable oil or other dressing.
- Make salad dressing. The remaining juice from the shrimp mix with wine. The wine must be white, dry. Wine no more than 2 tbsp. For spiciness, add salt and pepper (to your taste).
- For the final step, sprinkle the salad with grated cheese.
Salad with mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes
- You will need about 500 g of cheese and 7-10 pieces of tomatoes. Cut it all into small pieces and put it in a dish.
- Make the dressing for the salad. To do this, throw a bunch of basil in a blender. Then add 30-40 ml of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. If you prefer, use olive oil. Whisk the mixture until it becomes homogeneous.
- Pour our sauce over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Add some salt and pepper (to taste). If there is sea salt, it would be the best choice.
- At the end, place arugula leaves on the salad. One bunch will suffice.
Salad citrus + ruccola
- We will need a couple of medium-sized tangerines. One orange, preferably red. Cut the flesh of the fruit into small slices.
- Take one bunch of arugula. Tear up the leaves and add them to the citrus fruits. We recommend seasoning it with freshly squeezed lime/lemon juice. You will need 2 tbsp. of juice. Also, add 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (olive oil is best). Chop and add some tarragon – about a spoonful. Those who like it spicy can add jalapenos.
- Add a little salt to your taste.
- At the finish, slice the avocado into slices and add it to the dish. You can also throw in some peeled seeds.
There are also a few more dishes for you to explore.
Fruit smoothie with arugula. This is a great healthy and energizing drink.
- We need one apple and a medium-sized orange. All peel, chop and pour into the blender.
- A small bunch of arugula (50-60 g) is also added to the blender.
- Pour a glass of water in addition to vegetables. Then add a spoonful of honey.
- Turn on the blender and mix until smooth.
Smoothie banana + kiwi
- Also put a small bunch of arugula +/-50 g in a blender. In the same place we send the chopped pulp of one banana and kiwi.
- Pour 200-250 ml of clean water, add a spoonful of honey. If you have, you can add a couple of spoons of flax seeds or sesame seeds.
- Turn on the blender and bring everything to a homogeneous mass.
Pizza with greens
- We buy ready-made dough. Preferably choose one made of whole wheat flour. Roll out the dough and put it in a baking tray. Then preheat the oven to 170-180 degrees. There we put our tray and bake the dough. We need the dough to brown. This takes about 7-10 minutes.
- While our dough is baking – prepare the greens. We need broccoli, about two cups. We put broccoli into a deep pan and then add some boiling water (about 50-70 ml). Braise the cabbage on medium heat until tender.
- Then add arugula (1 bundle) to the broccoli. And salt and pepper to your taste.
- We take 100-120 ml of pesto sauce and pour it on our pasta.
- Put our vegetable mixture on top.
- In the end, you can sprinkle everything with grated cheese. Mozzarella would be a good alternative.
- We put the tray in the oven and bake it for 6-8 minutes. The main thing is to melt the cheese.
Fish soup with arugula
- We need 1 cup of rice. We boil it in water, at a ratio of 1 to 2. Wait for the rice to absorb all the water. Then add grated lemon peel to the rice.
- Next, we need some broth. You can use chicken or vegetables. The necessary amount is 1 liter. Bring the broth to a boil on medium heat. Then we add fish fillet 75-100 g there. The type of fish is needed with minimal fat content. We cut the filet into pieces beforehand. All boil on low heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- We cut in julienne carrots and a couple of small onions. All of this we passivate in 2-3 spoonfuls of our broth.
The dish should be served as follows. First, put some rice on the plate, then add onions and carrots. Then a few leaves of greens – arugula and mint – follow. And all this is poured with fish broth.