This delicious and healthy broccoli gratin looks very festive and suitable for special occasions and is surprisingly easy to prepare. Broccoli florets are steamed until half cooked in a steamer, poured with béchamel sauce, sprinkled with grated cheddar and breadcrumbs, and everything is baked in the oven until the white sauce and cheese combine into a delicious mass, in which tender pieces of broccoli are drowned in a crunchy topping.
|Level: Easy||Prep: 20 min||Yield: 4 to 6 side-dish servings|
|Total Time: 1 Hour||Cook: 40 min|
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1/4 tbsp unsalted butter + extra to grease the mold
- 3 tbsp extra virgin flour
- 1.5 tbsp. whole milk
- 1.5 tsp. coarse salt + additional as needed A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 0.9 kg. broccoli (about 4 cauliflowers) cut into small florets (about 8 tbsp.)
- 1 tbsp. grated hot cheddar (about 110g)
- 0.5 tbsp. fresh bread crumbs
Cooking Broccoli Gratin recipe
- Place a baking tray on the middle level in the oven and preheat it to 230 degrees F. Choose a baking dish and grease it, about 200x200x50 millimeters in size and grease it with butter.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a container at medium heat. Next – gradually add flour while stirring until you obtain a homogeneous mass. Fry it for one minute, without stopping to stir it. Then add some milk, 1.5 teaspoons of salt, and nutmeg, and bring it to a boil, without stopping to stir. Once our sauce comes to a boil, turn down the heat, stirring occasionally, and wait for the sauce to become thicker. This takes about 10 minutes. Then, to taste, you can add pepper.
- Simultaneously boil about 2.5 liters of water – for this, you need a roomy pot, so you can then put a container on top for steaming. Next, put the broccoli in the steamer, lightly salt, and cover. It only takes 5 minutes to cook the cabbage this way. Already cooked broccoli put in a deep dish, add half of the grated cheese, and pour the prepared sauce. In the end, sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top.
- Take a medium-sized frying pan, heat it over low heat, and gradually melt 1.5 tablespoons of butter. When the butter is completely melted and becomes liquid – pour there for frying breadcrumbs. Constantly stirring them, we fry them until they become golden – this takes no more than 2 minutes. Then we spill the resulting breadcrumbs on top of our dish with broccoli and sauce. Next, we place the container with the gratin in the oven and bake at medium temperatures until the sauce inside begins to bubble and the product itself begins to take on a ruddy color.