How to store cabbage in fridge? The possibility of storing cabbage in an apartment or home is limited in terms of time. But, with proper processing and preparation, it is possible to ensure the preservation of the product in refrigerator conditions.
Further in the article, we will consider in what form and how to most effectively prepare cabbage for storage, what the shelf life is depending on the method, as well as what additional steps can be taken for already stored vegetables.
Ways To Store Cabbage in the Fridge
There are several ways, differing both in the type of storage itself and in the treatment required for the cabbage.
How to Store a Head of Cabbage
Certain preparations must be made to ensure that the whole cabbage is preserved. The first thing to do is to remove the core of the lower leaves and also get rid of any damaged leaves or areas on the cabbage.
After preparation, you should wrap the cabbage in 2–3 layers of food film, and it is important that the film adhere tightly to the surface of the cabbage and not form air pockets.
The cabbage prepared this way should be stored in the refrigerator compartment with the lowest temperature. With this method of storage, it is important to maintain:
- temperature from 0 to +5 °C
- Humidity in the region of 85-90%
- Any excessive temperature fluctuations
How to Store Cabbage in the Freezer
The process of preparing the fruit is similar to the usual storage in the refrigerator. You should remove the core, then get rid of the top leaves, clean and rinse the sprout, and finally, it should be dried.
After all the preparations, you can wrap the cabbage in food film and place it in the freezer.
To defrost, it is recommended to move the vegetables from the freezer to the normal compartment of the refrigerator.
How to store cabbage after is has been cut
This method is especially relevant when the storage space is limited, the cabbage has an impressive size, and it needs to be divided into parts for further placement.
The cabbage is cut into pieces, each separately wrapped in food film, and placed in the refrigerator. An important detail is the property of the cut over time to dry out, so before using cabbage stored in pieces, it is better to cut off a couple of millimeters from the place of the cut.
How To Store Shredded Cabbage
In this form, there are two ways to store cabbage: short-term and long-term. Short-term storage involves storing the cabbage in a dish covered with food film in the refrigerator. In this form, the cabbage will remain suitable for consumption for a maximum of one day. The second method, long-term, is freezing, which allows you to save the cabbage for several months, sometimes up to a year.
Storage of Sauerkraut
One of the most resistant long-term storage methods of cooking, the shelf life directly depends on the utensils used. Wooden dishes have a shelf life of 6–8 months, containers made of glass and enamel provide preservation for 5–6 months, and plastic sealed boxes can be stored for about 2–3 months.
Shelf Life and How To Extend It
The length of time that cabbage can retain its gastronomic properties depends mainly on the variety and storage method. Thus, some particularly light hybrids can be stored for 8 to 12 months; if we talk about more common conventional varieties, the time is reduced to an average of 3-6 months. When detailed into specific varieties, the figures are as follows:
- Early varieties are 3 to 5 months;
- Medium-ripening varieties are 4 to 5 months;
- Late varieties – can last up to 8 months.
Storing Other Types of Cabbage in the Refrigerator
In the refrigerator, in addition to white cabbage, you can store other types of cabbage. They need certain conditions, and are more demanding to keep.
|Type of vegetable||How much to store||How to store|
|The white cabbage||2 weeks to 8 months||It is best to wrap it in several layers of paper and then put it in Styrofoam or in a cellar box.|
|Red Cabbage||From one week to two months||Store in the refrigerator in plastic wrap|
|Broccoli||From one week to six months||Separate the inflorescences, wash, dry, and put them in a bag, then in the refrigerator or freezer.|
|Napa cabbage||From a week to 4 months||Finely chop it, put it in a bag, evacuate the air from it, and put it in the freezer. You can wrap it in cling film and put it in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator.|
|Kohlrabi||From 2 weeks to 7 months||It is best to wrap the cabbage in a bag and put it in the freezer. You can leave the cabbage in the room or put it in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator.|
Recommendations on How To Store Cabbage in the Fridge
- Before storing the cabbage in the refrigerator or freezer for a long time, let it lie in the penumbra or dim sun for a few hours.
- If you have a large number of sprouts, wrap them in several layers of newsprint or plastic wrap and place them next to each other to preserve them.
- If you have your own garden and your cabbage harvest is successful, wet sand will help keep the cabbage fresh. Fill the box with 15-20 centimeters of sand, moisten it, and place the cabbage with the core down. In this form, the cabbage can be stored for 4-5 weeks; the main thing is not to forget to moisten the sand.
- Cabbage can also be stored with a full root by hanging it on a rope. To do this, wipe the cabbage in advance with chalk. If there are several cabbages, leave space between them so that they do not touch each other.
- If you store cabbage in the refrigerator in the vegetable compartment, wrap it in cling film. As soon as condensation is visible on the film, we suggest replacing the film, as excess moisture will spoil the cabbage.
- With a box on the balcony, you can wrap the cabbage in paper and drown it in Styrofoam.
- Don’t forget to check the cabbage during long storage. Despite ideal conditions, cabbage may begin to spoil or become damaged during storage, which will ruin it.
- It is worth storing the Chinese cabbage in the refrigerator wrapped in paper (which will absorb excess moisture, unlike the film), so it can keep fresh for up to 2 weeks.
- Kohlrabi should only be stored in the refrigerator, and don’t forget that it is perishable.
- Broccoli is best stored in individual florets, which were previously washed and then placed in a bag in the freezer.
Video: How to store cabbage in the fridge
For long-term storage, white cabbage or red cabbage are best. Their maximum storage period is 8 months. It is absolutely not necessary to freeze kohlrabi and store it for a long time. No matter how hard you try, in the cold its useful properties will disappear and the taste will no longer be the same. And broccoli is the best option for storage. It does not require much space and can be stored in a normal bag.
Preferably place the cabbage in a special compartment that is provided for storing fresh vegetables; if there is no such compartment, then the cabbage can be placed next to other vegetables and the temperature set to the minimum possible.
The conditions created by the refrigerator are suitable for Beijing, white, and red cabbage. But, for example, keeping cauliflower, kohlrabi, and Brussels sprouts in the refrigerator is not a good idea; they tend to go bad.
When signs of wilting appear, it is best to subject the cabbage to any kind of processing: cooking, fermenting, or pickling.
Before storing cabbage, you can soak each head in salted water for 20–30 minutes and then dry it. This will eliminate the presence of insects in the cabbage as well as disinfect it.
Unsuitable conditions have a direct effect on the condition of the cauliflower. For example, too high a temperature will cause the upper leaves to spoil, and insufficient moisture will cause the whole fruit to wilt.