Red cabbage has quite a few health benefits, as it is rich in a number of nutrients and vitamins. It strengthens the immune system, reduces the risk of cancer, prevents aging, and also promotes weight loss.
Eating red cabbage helps to prevent diabetes, eliminate toxic substances from your body, strengthen your skeleton, improve the cardiovascular system, eyes, and skin condition. In addition, red cabbage reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer’s and helps treat stomach ulcers.
About Red Cabbage
The main difference between red cabbage and white cabbage is the bluish-purple color of the leaves due to the high content of anthocyanin – the natural coloring agent which is also found in blueberries, blackberries, eggplants, and other fruits and vegetables. Anthocyanins play an important role in maintaining human health. Besides, red cabbage does not have early mature varieties.
It contains 90 percent water. It contains fiber, proteins, enzymes, sugars, phytoncides, vitamins A, E, C, PP, H, U, B vitamins, iron, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and other substances useful for human health.
The calorific value of red cabbage is 25 kcal per 100 g.
What are the benefits of red cabbage?
- It increases immunity and helps to strengthen the organism.
- Red cabbage prevents respiratory system diseases and has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, reduces the risk of vascular and heart disease.
- It strengthens the blood vessels walls, they become more elastic.
- The use of the vegetable improves the blood composition and reduces the cholesterol level.
- Helps to normalize the blood pressure and is useful for hypertensive patients.
- Regular consumption of red cabbage has a beneficial effect on the thyroid gland.
- Improves intestinal motility and helps to cope with constipation.
- Promotes the toxins eliminations from the organism.
- The vegetable is a good prophylactic and therapeutic agent for liver and kidney diseases.
- It is recommended to supplement the menu with red cabbage for diabetes mellitus patients as red cabbage helps to normalize the blood sugar level.
- Is recommended to people who live in untoward environmental conditions as it protects the organism from the effect of radiation.
- Regular consumption of red cabbage reduces the risk of breast cancer and other types of cancer.
- Compresses are used in bruises, inflammation of the joints, and soft tissue treatment.
- Red cabbage is excellent for people who aim to lose weight.
Using this vegetable
Red cabbage can be eaten raw, boiled, and stewed. All the same dishes as white cabbage can be cooked. To keep all useful substances while cooking red cabbage shall not be heated for more than an hour. The stump and upper leaves are not to be eaten as nitrates can accumulate in these parts of the vegetable.
It has been known since ancient times that red cabbage neutralizes the effect of alcohol and helps to maintain mental clarity. This knowledge was widely used in Roman Empire. It is enough to drink half a glass of red cabbage juice or eat a portion of salad before the feast.
This vegetable is used in cosmetology. It can be added to masks that remove the oily shine from the skin and restore the general balance. The following conclusion can be made that red cabbage is a unique vegetable, unpretentious in gardening, but having an excellent effect on the human organism general condition