Today cauliflower is becoming increasingly popular among farmers. Moreover, its demand is not affected by the fact that it is more difficult to grow. Thanks to breeding – there are many new varieties of this vegetable. They tend to differ in the color of the cabbage. As for the purple cabbage, its homeland is in Sicily. It is on this island that it is mainly grown. This motley plant will decorate any bed. In addition, cabbage is very tasty. It can even be eaten raw.
If you compare it with other vegetables, our heroine is the most nutritious. This quality has been taken into account by breeders. And, since the 1970s, they have been actively cultivating new varieties. The main region where they grew the crop was the countries on the Mediterranean coast.
It is worth noting that only natural remedies help to achieve different shades of color. So, to grow cabbage with a new color – natural pigment is used. This made it possible to obtain varieties of different colors.
You need citric acid to preserve the color when cooking. Just a few drops added to the water will preserve the appearance of the product. And when roasting sliced cabbage, you will get a delicious crust.
Benefits of purple cauliflower
This type of cabbage is very healthy and nutritious. At the same time, it has great taste and excellent satiety. Because of these qualities, it is used in diets and specialty foods. This is an ideal product for nutritionists and athletes. Also on the basis of this vegetable is developed food for children and the elderly. And absolutely all parts of the plant are used in cooking. Yes, mostly eat the inflorescences, as they are the most delicious. But the stem can also be used. For example, the stem part can be added to salads. To do this – grate it on a grater. And the leaves can be chopped and added to soups. Important fact: this vegetable is well assimilated by the body!
- Cauliflower has more vitamin C than citrus fruits. But, at the same time, it causes almost no allergies.
- It helps in the prevention of cancer.
- Its iron content is higher than in beans or peas.
- It has a beneficial effect on digestion. A large amount of fiber normalizes the function of the gastrointestinal tract. Glucaraffin – protects the entire gastrointestinal tract from the effects of harmful substances. This reduces the risk of ulcers and reduces irritation.
- Vitamin B acts on muscle tissue, strengthening it. It also strengthens the heart muscle.
- The huge protein content will be useful for those who don’t eat meat.
- Also cauliflower removes cholesterol from the blood and improves the overall condition of the circulatory system.
Contraindications of purple cauliflower
For all its advantages, this vegetable has disadvantages. Here is a list of some cases when it is better to refrain from eating it:
- If you are allergic to this plant. Even though this type of cabbage is hypoallergenic – there are exceptions.
- People with hyperacidity in the gastrointestinal tract or ulcers. Extra acid from cabbage can make things worse.
- It is undesirable to eat it postoperative period. The fact is that the body takes a long time to digest the vegetable.
- People who have high blood pressure due to kidney disease, it is better to refuse cabbage.
- If you suffer from gout – purple cauliflower is not recommended for you.
- If you have thyroid disease – eat it in small portions with caution.
- With acute pancreatitis – it is better to give up. If there is a desire, you can grind everything into a puree. But eat it no more than once every 2-3 days.
Here is a brief list of the positive and negative qualities of the vegetable. Decide for yourself whether to eat it or not. One thing is for sure – it can be cooked in different ways, and it is very tasty.
Purple cauliflower can be eaten in any form. But you need to know that the raw vegetable is quite hard. Moreover, if you have a delicate intestine – the fibers can damage it. Also, it is better not to roast the fresh plant. In summer, it is best to boil cabbage and only then eat it. You can consume the boiled vegetable on its own or with other dishes. Note that boiled cabbage contains almost no calories – 30 Kcal per 100 grams. So, if you want to lose weight – this product will be an excellent choice.
How long do you boil?
For this you need to understand what and how you want to cook:
- For the steamer – 60 minutes. Yes, a lot of time, but the steam cooking preserves all the useful substances.
- Multicooker – 15-20 minutes.
- If you cook it the usual way in a pot – 20-25 minutes. If you make soup, you need to add it together with the potatoes.
- Boil for 8-10 minutes before frying the vegetable – so it will be softer. Next, cooked cabbage can be breaded (breadcrumbs / flour). Fry it in vegetable oil for 8-10 minutes. Remember that flour breading will make the product more moist.
- Batter. For cooking you will need 1 chicken egg, spices and herbs (if you want – grated cheese). Mix all this, add a little flour. In the resulting mixture we dip the sliced CC. Fry on a heated frying pan for 3-5 minutes on each side.
Remember that this method of cooking will increase the calorie count up to 300 Kcal. You can fry in a frying pan, but better in a deep fryer. This way the product will be better processed. We recommend changing the oil in the fryer more often.
That’s good to know
Here’s some additional information you’ll need:
- After boiling the cauliflower, it must be immediately removed from the water. Otherwise, the cabbage will absorb the moisture and turn into jelly.
- It is best to rinse the boiled cabbage immediately under cold water. This way it retains its shape.
- Do not defrost frozen cauliflower before cooking! You can use it right away.